What Is Cloud Networking and How Does It Work?
If you’re immersed in the tech space, “the cloud” is a phrase you’ve likely heard. But what is a cloud network, and how does it work? Is the internet a cloud? How does cloud storage work?
If you’re looking for answers to these questions, you’re not alone. Although the IT terminology surrounding the cloud can seem vague, it may be simpler than you think. Read this guide to understand:
- What the cloud is, and how it’s typically used
- The basics of cloud networking management
- How to implement a cloud-based disaster recovery plan
- How to know when your business needs cloud networking services.
What Is the Cloud?
The cloud is a connected network of computers or servers that users can access via the internet. The connection between your device and the servers is known as cloud connectivity, which can be established through the internet or network architecture. It allows you to remotely access the computing power of those servers from your device.
For example, if you wanted to access an app like Microsoft Word remotely, the cloud would allow you to use it by going online and connecting to a server. You can then use this app without installing it locally on your device. This also helps save on the computing power your device needs because the server is doing the work.
With cloud storage, the user sends the files they want to save to a data server instead of saving them locally on their hard drive. This is often more beneficial when the cloud environments are regularly maintained and backed up by the cloud provider.
Not all clouds are accessible to everyone, however. Some are strictly for use by members of specific organizations, government agencies, schools, or public institutions. The most well-known publicly available solutions include AWS, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud.
How Businesses Use the Cloud
Some of the most common cloud network services used by businesses include:
- Project Management and Collaboration
- Data storage and Backup
- Content Sharing
- Document Creation, Editing, and Sharing
- Reporting and Analytics
- Testing and Development
How Does Cloud Networking Work?
Cloud networking is a type of computer networking that uses remote servers hosted on the cloud to store, manage, and process data. Cloud networks are designed to be highly scalable, meaning that as an organization’s need for computing resources grows, the cloud network can expand to meet those needs. This makes cloud networking an attractive option for businesses that need to quickly deploy new services or applications without investing in additional hardware and software.
Cloud networks are becoming increasingly popular as businesses abandon traditional on-premise networks. The cloud offers a more secure and cost-effective way to store data, run applications, and deliver services. Furthermore, cloud networks provide access to powerful computing resources that can be used for advanced analytics and machine learning.
NET3 IT’s managed cloud solutions can elevate your business’s operations.
Implementing a Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery Plan
Cloud networks are also essential to a company’s disaster recovery plan. A cloud-based disaster recovery plan allows businesses to quickly restore operations during an unexpected system failure or disaster. This ensures businesses can get back up and running after a major disruption.
When setting up a disaster recovery strategy, businesses should consider the following steps:
- Identify critical business applications and services – Businesses should first identify the applications and services that are most important to their operations. This ensures that they clearly understand what needs to be restored in the event of a disaster.
- Select suitable cloud service providers – The next step is to select an appropriate cloud service provider who can provide the necessary infrastructure for the disaster recovery plan. Businesses should consider factors such as cost, scalability, and response times when making their selection.
- Create a backup strategy – Once the cloud service provider has been selected, businesses must create and implement a backup plan that protects against data loss. This plan should include details about how often backups will be created, where they will be stored, and how quickly data can be restored when disaster strikes.
- Run a test (and often) – After creating a plan, businesses should test it to ensure it works as expected. This includes running simulations of various disaster scenarios. Companies should test their disaster recovery plan often to ensure it functions as expected.
The Benefits of Cloud Networking
If you’re on the fence about whether to use cloud networking technology or not, consider the various benefits it offers to businesses, including:
- Scalability – With a cloud network, businesses can quickly scale their networking infrastructure up or down depending on their needs. This makes it easier for companies to meet the demands of their ever-changing business environment.
- Cost Savings – Cloud networks are often more cost effective than traditional networking solutions. This is because businesses don’t need to invest in expensive hardware, software, or IT staff to maintain the network.
- Increased Reliability – As a more reliable option over traditional networks, the cloud provider is responsible for ensuring that the network stays up and running. This means businesses don’t have to worry about downtime due to power outages or other unexpected events.
- Security – Cloud networks can provide better protection than traditional networks. The cloud provider is responsible for implementing and managing the business’s network security, which can help protect businesses from malicious attacks.
Choose NET3 IT for Your Cloud Networking Services
You don’t have to take advantage of every technological trend or innovation to be successful. But when you want your business to be more efficient and agile, you need the right tech to accomplish your goals. Cloud networking can help your team achieve those goals, giving you the edge you need against your competitors.
Net3 IT can assist with all your IT needs, no matter how simple or complex. Whether you want to migrate to the cloud or need implementation solutions, we have the experience to help strengthen your IT infrastructure.
Take advantage of industry-leading IT solutions and contact us today.