There’s no doubt that the internet has created many opportunities for businesses to flourish. However, it’s proven to be a double-edged sword. Along with the prosperity, many organizations have also been hurt by the internet through cyberattacks. As these cyber threats become more sophisticated and multiply in number, it’s never been more important to have reliable cyber security.
Implementing strong cyber security measures and procedures is the first step, but not the only step. You have to make sure your network is continually protected from future attacks. One of the best ways to ensure your cyber security doesn’t become obsolete is to perform regular cyber security risk assessments.
What is a Cyber Security Risk Assessment?
A cyber security risk assessment is a thorough look at your infrastructure; it identifies anything that could put your system at risk. Its purpose is to understand, manage, control, and mitigate cyber risks across your organization. Security is important in business, and a risk assessment is a crucial part of any company’s risk management strategy and data protection efforts.
There are three goals for every risk assessment.
- Identify what your top priority devices and data are.
- Find out how a threat could gain access to your network.
- Figure out the risks associated with your data falling into the wrong hands.
This type of assessment takes into account every weakness and vulnerability in your infrastructure, so you can apply fixes that strengthen your overall protection. The Information Systems Audit and Control Association recommends performing a risk assessment at least once every two years.
Why You Should Perform Regular Risk Assessments
An IT security risk assessment takes on many names, such as intrusion prevention system or vulnerability analysis, and it can vary greatly in terms of method and scope. However, the core goals and the reasons to perform an assessment remain the same. Here are some reasons you should regularly perform an assessment:
- Improved Self-Awareness: By identifying risks, you gain an understanding of your security’s strengths and weaknesses. With this information, you can continue to improve your cybersecurity programs and enhance your security posture.
- Reduced Costs: Detecting and analyzing existing risks allows you to create effective solutions to mitigate threats. Mitigating risks prevents cyberattacks, meaning you won’t have to pay for the resulting damages.
- Legal Requirements: Depending on the industry your business resides in, you may be subject to strict security regulations. Some regulations require businesses to perform regular assessments. If your industry doesn’t require an assessment, an analysis can help ensure you are compliant with other requirements.
- Communication: A risk assessment requires input from all departments of the company. Each department must be on the same page to pinpoint the best solution for the business.
- Visibility: An assessment provides an opportunity to gain a better view of your available IT assets, data, and endpoint devices. This can lead to better monitoring and risk management of your systems.
Risk Assessments Are a Part of a Larger Cyber Security Mitigation Plan
The aftermath of a data breach can devastate any business. It should go without saying that avoiding or promptly resolving a cyberattack is crucial to business continuity and success. Regular risk assessments can help achieve that goal, but they are only a part of the solution. A risk assessment should be done as part of a proactive risk management plan.
A cyber security mitigation plan is created to reduce the odds of succumbing to a malicious attack in the future. Essentially, it’s a roadmap your team can follow to improve risk mitigation. Since cyber threats are constantly evolving, a proper risk mitigation plan needs to be an ongoing process.
Improve the Security of Your Business With a Risk Assessment
Are you unsure about your organization’s level of cyber security? Find out about your security posture with a cyber security risk assessment performed by Net3 IT. With years of industry knowledge and experience under our belts, we help you enhance your security by discovering where improvements can be made.
If you’d like to learn more about this topic or the services we offer, contact us today.
Since 2012, Net3 IT has offered enterprise-level IT experience and industry knowledge to help Knoxville businesses make the right decisions. We are committed to our customers’ success by providing cost-effective, high-value IT services, VOIP phone services, and strategic consulting.